What is your immediate goal?
If you don’t have an answer then chances are that your motivation is low and results are lacking.
Operating without a goal will get you nowhere. Sure, you may still be exercising regularly and eating mindfully but without a concrete, defined goal your efforts will yield little results.
1. Setting your goal
You want to be in “better shape” but that’s so vague. You need to dig deeper.
What specifically do you wish you had now that you don’t?
• To drop 3 dress sizes
• To lose 2 inches of arm fat jiggle
• To melt 4 inches from your waist
• To be able to run 3 miles without stopping
2. Define your timeline
Now that you’ve determined exactly what part of your body isn’t up to par; tie that goal in with a specific timeline. When you have a timeline to measure your progress against you’ll find that achieving your goal becomes an easier process.
• To drop 3 dress sizes by August 20th holiday
• To lose 2 inches of arm fat jiggle by October 13th wedding.
• To melt 4 inches from your waist by July 7th summer party
• To be able to run 3 miles without stopping by June 16th city 5k
3. Name your prize
It’s time to take your motivation to the next level. Now that your specific goal is set and your timeline is clearly defined, let’s add a prize that you’ll receive once you’ve accomplished your goal. This prize shouldn’t be anything related to your unhealthy habits – so no junk food or extra-large meals. Make the prize an item that will reinforce your slimmer body, like a nice piece of clothing.
• A new swimsuit for your August holiday
• A sleeveless dress for the October wedding
• A new outfit for your July summer party
• A new pair of running shoes for your June 5k run
4. Picture it
You know what you want, when you want it by, and the reward you’ll get by achieving it. Now spend time picturing your end goal. Find a comfortable, quiet corner; close your eyes and see a mental movie – starring yourself – enjoying your reward with your new and improved body. Play your mental success movie several times throughout the day.
• See yourself on holiday lounging by the pool in your swimsuit, carefree and happy
• Imagine how you’ll feel walking down the aisle baring your toned arms
• See yourself enjoying the party, confident in your new outfit
• Imagine the feeling of accomplishment you’ll feel as you cross the finish line
5. Recipe for success
The steps you take above will mentally prepare you to take on the challenge of motivating yourself through this transformation process.